Qualifications for New York State Trooper
- Must be a citizen of the United States and be at least 20 years old by the application deadline, once applications become available.
- Must not have reached their 30th birthday by the date of the application deadline, once applications become available. Except the maximum age may be extended one year for each year of full-time active military duty - up to a maximum of 6 years.
AT TIME OF APPOINTMENT:
- Must be at least 21 years old to be appointed
- Must be appointed prior to 36th birthday, except the maximum age may be extended one year for each year of full-time active military duty - up to a maximum of 6 years.
- Must be a New York State resident and have a valid New York State driver's license at time of appointment.
- Must be able to pass a Physical Ability Test (PAT): sit-ups, push-ups and a one-and-one-half mile run.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts any day of the week, including holidays.
- Vision Requirement: uncorrected - no worse than 20/100 in each eye able to be corrected to 20/20 in each eye. Correction may be achieved using glasses, contact lenses, or surgery. Color blindness is disqualifying.
- Must comply with New York State Police policy which requires all members to present a neat and professional appearance at all times. Tattoos, brands, body piercings and other body art shall not be visible while a member is in uniform or other business attire. The uniform includes a short sleeve shirt open at the front of the neck. In addition to visibility, some tattoos or brands may have symbolic meanings that are inconsistent with the values of the New York State Police.
- Must posses a:
- Graduate certificate from senior high school, Or
- New York State High School Equivalency Diploma, Or
- Military GED Certificate, Or
- High School Equivalency diploma from another state converted to a
NYS High School Equivalency Diploma,
- Must have completed 60 college credit hours at an accredited college or university. Documentation must be provided at trooper candidate processing to demonstrate that you have completed, or will complete prior to the established deadline outlined in the trooper candidate processing packet/letters of invite, the minimum college credit requirement. Said documentation is required to be in the form of official transcripts or written status of current enrollment from the college/university registrar.
Exceptions: 30 college credits may be waived, if the candidate has either:
received an Honorable Discharge from the United States military after two years of active military service;
successfully completed a Certified Police Officer Training Course approved by, or equivalent to a course approved by, the New York State Municipal Police Training council. A certified Peace Officer Training course does not qualify. Completion of a Phase 1 Academy, in and of itself, is insufficient due to the fact that during said training no instruction is received in the area of Firearms, Ballistic Baton, or Weapons of Mass Destruction. Without this addition instruction, along with the completion of the Field Training Officer program, the Phase 1 Academy is deemed insufficient by the New York State Municipal Training council and thus the 30 credits will NOT be waived.