Crime Victims Specialist Information
Under an agreement with the New York State Crime Victims Board, the State Police maintain eight Crime Victims Specialist (CVS) positions in each of the upstate Troops. Please refer to the Troop Map to find the Troop that covers your county.
The Crime Victims Specialists work closely with both police and local victim service agencies to best meet the needs of the victim. They:
- Assess the specific needs for each crime victim.
- Provide crisis intervention, short-term counseling, and follow-up support.
- Assist the victim with safety planning.
- Assist the victim in applying for and obtaining compensation.
- Explain victim's rights, legal options and procedures.
- May accompany the victim throughout the criminal justice process and make home or hospital visits when necessary.
- Provide information to the victim on case status.
- Refer the victim to resources in the community, such as medical treatment, specialized counseling, emergency housing and legal services.